Here’s your fight size update for Friday, August 27, 2021:
– Stephanie McMahon recently sent out this internal memo regarding the success of this year’s SummerSlam event:
This past weekend, WWE held our biggest event of 2021, SummerSlam, emanating from Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas with a record-breaking crowd of over 51,000 fans. More people watched Saturday’s event live across Peacock and WWE Network than any other SummerSlam in our company’s history, marking a 55% increase over 2020. SummerSlam also trended #1 worldwide, ahead of Pacquiao vs. Ugas and NFL preseason football.
Leading up to the event new multi-year partnership announcements were made, bringing WWE together with Spotify, Bill Simmons and The Ringer to launch an exclusive audio network, and MLB to offer sports fans team-inspired WWE Championship replica titles and accessories. In addition, WWE partnered with Bitski to drop WWE’s second edition of NFTs inspired by WWE Superstar John Cena.
Thank you to our friends and partners who made this success possible.
– WWE hit a major milestone on Instagram as they cracked 25 million followers.
WWE’s official Instagram channel just reached an incredible milestone of 25 million followers!
It has been nearly a decade since WWE first emerged on the platform, and in that time the WWE Universe has liked, commented on and followed along with WWE’s most celebrated and memorable moments in recent history, from John Cena’s record-tying 16th World Championship victory to Sasha Banks and Bianca Belair making history in the main event of WrestleMania 37.
Reaching this milestone cements WWE’s presence as one of the most followed Instagram channels in the world of sports and entertainment, outpacing the likes of MLB, NHL, NFL and more.
Follow WWE on Instagram here to join 25 million other members of the WWE Universe… and counting!
– Recently, Red Velvet was in action against Jamie Hayter on the most recent episode of AEW Dynamite. After a couple of missteps went viral, Jade Cargill, Red Velvet’s first major rival, came to her defense on social media.
Red was/is fine. She can work. Everybody loved her when she was killing it. Shit happens. But clearly you all don’t know wrestling to not see some shit in that go round. SMH. I’m done.
— Jade Cargill (@Jade_Cargill) August 27, 2021
– Speaking of Dynamite, WarnerMedia is once again celebrating the ratings number of the most recent episode of AEW TV:
Last night’s episode of “AEW: Dynamite” on TNT drew in its largest audience in P18-49 since the 2019 premiere, making it Wednesday’s #1 cable program. See highlights below:
620K P18-49 / 165K P18-34 / 1.2M P2+
Week 98 of “AEW: Dynamite” was up 39% vs. last week
1. Largest P18-49 delivery for “AEW: Dynamite” since the series premiere in 2019
2. Ranked #1 on cable for Wednesday in P18-49
3. Up +39% vs. prior week in P18-49 and +20% in total viewers
On top of CM Punk’s first appearance on “AEW: Dynamite,” the episode featured Darby Allin, Jon Moxley and Eddie Kingston defeating The Wingmen in a Trios Tag Team Match, Orange Cassidy defeating Matt Hardy, the Lucha Bros. defeating the Varsity Blonds in the AEW World Tag Team Championship Eliminator Tournament Semi-Final, Jamie Hayter defeating Red Velvet, and Malakai Black destroying Brock Anderson. Chris Jericho announced he will put his in-ring career on the line in a match with MJF at ALL OUT with the stipulation Jericho will never wrestle in AEW again if he loses.
– Speaking with Sports Illustrated, Big E hyped a showdown with The Bloodline
I think that’s a no-brainer. We’ve said this ad-nauseum, but The Usos are our greatest rivals. They are an all-time great tag team, very top tier, and I have so much respect for them and what they do. Roman has added a new wrinkle. And even though we ran with them years ago, Roman and Paul Heyman have added a whole new dynamic.
I love that idea of faction vs. faction vs. faction, all trying to solidify our place in this industry. Looking at Raw and SmackDown, with the draft coming up soon, there are so many ways we can go as a trio. If we’re working with The Bloodline, we could have an all-time great feud.
– WWE posted the following job opening for a Technical Product Manager, Analytics
Technical Product Manager, Analytics
At WWE, we don’t limit ourselves to users and customers, we focus on fans. Our Digital Products Team is looking for someone to help ensure we remain focused and dialed-in on the fan experience across a wide array of digital products and services. This person needs to have the leadership skills to organize and collaborate across teams, the quantitative skills to measure impact and the presentation skills to communicate a vision. We need someone who has a broad array of experience working with data, managing requirements for product development, organizing and balancing business priorities, and who isn’t afraid to dig into new areas to develop skills where needed.
This Technical Product Manager will be a thought leader and vital member of a broader team that delivers top notch experiences to WWE fans across the world.
* Work across teams to understand, implement and refine WWE’s analytics strategy with a focus on digital products and the fan journey
* Evangelize a vision that delivers valuable, usable and actionable data insights
* Participate in the development and management of key product and experience metrics
* Continuously review and identify areas of opportunity to acquire and deliver deeper, data-driven insights to the business
* Collect, drive and manage requirements for digital products that focus on improving understanding the user experience and journey
* Lead testing and validation of product features that provide opportunities to understand the fan experience and journey
* Collaborate across departments to help combine operational and experiential/contextual data where available
* Work with teams to develop and refine dashboards that communicate actionable insights
* Maintain and manage adherence to privacy frameworks that ensure WWE remains compliant with local laws and regulations
* Participate in and sometimes lead audits to ensure privacy compliance
* Be a privacy and data champion
* BA/BS in related field or 5+ years experience in working directly with commerce and digital media platforms in a data insights role is a must
* Experience working with and managing Google’s Marketing Platform (particularly focused around Google Analytics, Tag Manager, Optimize and Big Query) is a must
* Capable of reading and understanding front-end development languages, event- driven data architecture and modelling, and common data query languages (SQL, etc).
* A more-than-moderate understanding of current privacy laws (like GDPR and CCPA) and a willingness to dive deeper and stay up-to-date
* Experience with continuous process improvement and agile product development
* Familiar with testing and debugging apps and the ability to build on this skill is necessary
– Leroy Kincaide, former FWA & IPW Champion, directed a horror film, The Last Rite and it premieres this weekend.
– Zelina Vega has a new t-shirt available on WWE Shop.
– Travel with Mandy Leon to Arizona.
– WWE stock was trading at $52 when the market closed.
– Celebrate CM Punk’s AEW arrival with an exclusive trading card from Upper Deck:
Celebrate CM Punk’s AEW arrival with an exclusive trading card available on https://t.co/sNMFd5Y5w9. Grab your copy on e-Pack before September 3 at 8:59 am. (Physical card will be ready to ship in approx. 6-8 weeks)#TradingCards #collectthebest #wrestling #upperdeck pic.twitter.com/ynaX2rBbES
— Upper Deck (@UpperDeckSports) August 27, 2021
– In an update on the Ember Moon situation, Fightful reported last week that she wasn’t cleared for her match with Sarray, and was pulled from it in favor of Dakota Kai. Ember Moon noted that she wasn’t injured, and WWE sources have indicated that Moon was still recovering from a dental procedure that kept her from getting cleared. NXT sources also indicated that she was willing to work despite that.
– Make sure you are subscribed to Fightful Select. A subscription grants you early access to interviews, Q&A opportunities, early looks at breaking news, and more. Also, make sure to check us out on YouTube and Twitch.
– Check Out The Latest Off Her Chops Podcast
– Here’s the latest Sammy Guevara vlog: